Skip til hoved indholdet

Churches in Halsnæs

Churches in Halsnæs

In Halsnæs, there are several churches with exciting history. Beside their history, they are also active cultural places. Sunday sermons, concerts, theater, and much more can be experienced inside the beautiful churches.


Ølsted Church

In the middle of the 12th century, a church was constructed of natural stone. It contained "the ship" and a smaller choir.

It was most likely put to use in year 1153 under the kings Svend and Knud. Quite a bit later “the ship” was extended towards west, and around mid-15th century extended towards east. Vaulted ceilings replaced the wooden roof. The sacristy was put behind the alter in an extension of the choir. Armories were added in front of the doors in north and south. Around 1590 the tower was constructed on the extension in west.


Seen from the outside, the different building styles and materials used through time are visible. Inside you can see the remnants of frescoes, amongst others a portrait of a noble women, Lene Viffert, who belongs to the missing manor Hagelsemagle. A little three-winged side altar is most likely from the same manor.

The altar is from the renaissance, most likely 1620, and contains four small paintings from the old and new testament. The pulpit and the sound heaven are from the same period with Christian the fourth´s monogram at the top.

The stands are from 1610 and have 3 different carvings in different conditions, the finer one at the altar.


In the tower is two bells, the large tone was made in 1590 and forged by Dalgeber, the smaller one in 1766 and forged in Frederiksværk sporting Christian the seventh´s name.


Kregme Church

Kregme Church is situated beautifully on top of a steep hill between Roskilde Inlet and Arresø. It functions as a landmark elevated in terrain and visible once you approach Kregme.

The oldest part of the curch is from 1150 and made of boulders. At the time it was a small, low building presumably a bell tower of wood stood outside.


In the coming century the church was continually built on with red bricks. The church was extended towards west, windows were made bigger, nave and choir and the added armory were given stepped gable and blind niches, and in around year 1500 the tower joined the building. Due to terrain, the tower was placed on the north side of the choir, which gave Kregme Church its special mark, becoming on of the few chuches with a tower facing east, instead of west. The bells are from 1649 and 1722.


When one steps inside the curch, one'e eye will be caught by the grand brightly coloured window behind the altar. At the church´s anniversary in 1950, the church's inside was renovated and restored, the old altarpiece got a new home in the sacristy, and a large blind niche was put in the choirs gabe and fitted with a glass painting. It features Christ as a world judge.

A glass painting was fitted into the sourthern window as well as the window by the pulpit, the paintings were done by Arist Johan Thomas Skovgaard (1888-1977) son of the renowned painter Joakim Skovgaard, who is known for decorating Viborg cathedral. At the aforementioned restoration and renovation, a new altar table of granite was installed. In 1886 frescoes was found, they were however overwhitened except a Romanesque portrayal of the child murder in Bethlehem (on the northside of the choir). The pulpit was constructed in baroque from 1646 and the clergy chair in 1560.

On the church´s sourthern wall hangs a long memorial poem by the priest Gert Albertsen Schumacher (a relative of Peder Griffenfeld) given as a parting gift in connection with the priests transferal to Elsinore in 1671.

Similarly hangs a commemorative plaque for fallen soldiers hailing from Kregme 1850 and 1864.


Situated beautifully with its picturesque exterior, its luminous and cheery interior and the spectacular view from the graveyard out over Arresø, Kregme Church is always worth a visit.


Torup Church

During excavation work at Torup graveyard, a colossal, round stone setting was found in which they found clear evidence of ash. A discovery that supported the theory researchers have that the name Torup is derived from the god name Thor. Others still believe that the name is derived from Towes-Thorp, supported by a few old maps naming the place Toverup.

In around 1100 on an old sacrificial site to the Nordic gods, a church was constructed that still stands, the oldest of its walls (a part of the southern wall around the armory) the same as the day it was made. Furthermore, on each side of the armory, two original Romanesque windows appear.

The tower is from around year 1200 and on the south side, a walled up entrance is visible. Similarly inside the tower is an internal staircase which around 300 years after its construction was replaced by an exterior stairwell on the north side. After a fire, the tower was partly built from scratch in 1839. The bells are from 1747 and 1866.

Inside, by one of the Romanesque windows, well preserved frescoes from around 1250 are visible. They depict Holy Olav and one of his understudies, as well as the expulsion from paradise. In the choir, hints of frescoes can be found, and above the walled in entrance to the tower, is a frieze from the first period.

The rest of the stock of items from the catholic time is stored in an adjacent room, amongst other things, a carved Madonna and the child, and a frieze from the pulpit.

The crucifix is unique in north Europe. The face has Semitic traits, under a restoration process, inside the head, a note was found carrying the artists name, as well as the year it was constructed - 1320.

The crucifix has previously been placed above the choir screen, but has since then gained a place above the altar.


For a period, Constantin Hansens painting, depicting Jesus, blessing the children, been the altarpiece, the painting is now placed by the old granite baptismal font, and the little picture next to it is a sketch for “barnet på armen”

The pulpit is from 1620, the benches from 1627-28, and the clergy chair, now placed in the front of the tower room, is from 1560.

The doors by the front row of benches in both sides have had several layers of paint removed, in an attempt to bring them back to their original look.

The entrance door is from the middle ages, and the tithe box is from 1629

The alter chalice was in 1651 made for Hillerød Church, but since the former fell to the wind shortly before, the chalice was sent to Frederiksborg Cathedral, and in 1720 there was a swap between the cathedral and Torup church, since the chalice in Torup church was deemed “too fancy for Torup”, it now rests in Frederiksborg cathedral.


The frigate ”NEPTUNE” is, according to the church´s logs, donated by one of the parish´s fisherment, in the start of the 1800th century.

The extension of the building towards north is from 1746, it was constructed by the king with the intention to be of use for cavalry soldiers stationed in the area. 

In the eastern wall sits a corpse stone from 1535, on it is Kirstine Skave and her son Niels Trolle, a brother of Herluf Trolle. The king Frederik the 2th swapped property with Niels trolle, so that he got Bråde Hovedgard (later Holsteinborg) and Halsnæs thereby came under the crown.


The church was renovated and restored in the 1950s and later in 1971-1972 and 1987-1988, during which the roof was renewed and the side rooms ceiling restored to its original look. Furthermore, around 6000 rocks were replaced along with a large number of wall anchors in the tower.


The baptismal appletree, located in the side room, tells the story of the children baptised within the last few months, once the tree is filled, the the fabric apples are then “picked” and sent to the baptized children.


The heart shape cast iron cross adorned with two angels, stars, a butterfly, and an hourglass, was restored in 1999, it has earlier been stationed at the graveyard.


Lynæs Church

Lynæs Church was consecrated September 8th 1901. The architect behind the church is Andreas Clemmensen.

Architect Andreas Clemmensen  took the location and elements into consideration when choosing materials for church, given the desolate and weather bitten, but beautiful, heather covered area.

At the time, the architectural world was strongly influenced by the middle ages and the tower was presumably directly inspired by Tveje Merløse Church´s towers.


Andreas Clemmensen chose to let the church be built in split boulders. By utilizing cleaved boulder in all outside facets, he achieved a rustique character that completely harmonated with the desolate landscape and the sun and sea.

Clemmensens building, consists of choir, and main room, along with armory in south, and tower in north.


In 1944 Adam Møller constructed the sacristy. In 1958 architect Rolf Graae doubled the choir in size and extended the building with a side room and a chapel. The extension meant an extra 150 seats thus, with its now 350 seats, Lynæs Church earned its nickname: "The cathedral among village churches".

The altar counter, the masonry pulpit with a wooden canopy, and the loose benches made of oak, is all from the renovation in 1958-59.

The baptismal font of limestone, is from the church´s construction.

The altar table is made of island limestone. Above it is a crucifix of oak, by Axel Poulsen from 1944. The altar candlestands is from 1724 and of unknown heritage.

The altar silver was made in 1714-1724 and donated by the naval ministry in 1894 to the ministry of “Church and Education” who donated silver to poor churches around the country, this benefitted Lynæs at its consecration in 1901.

The painting by the baptismal font depicts an angel with a child, and was made in 1903 by Cilius Anderson.


I the middle of the church´s main room hangs the model ship “Marie”.”Lynæs-jollen” hangs in the side room and is a true copy of the popular and seaworthy dinghy of same name.

Shipwright Christian Madsen, of Lynæs, gifted the model dinghy for the Church´s 80th birthday in 1981


The church organ with 23 voice is an ”Opus 64” from Gunnar Fabricious Husteds Organ factory, and was consecrated in june the 30th 1996. When the church tuned a hundred years old in 2001, money was collected for an anniversary present, for the funds collected, a light globe of cast iron was bought.


In the graveyard, a wall was constructed to honor and memorialize deceased fishermen and sailors. In front of the memorial wall is the beautiful bronze sculpture, made by Svend Lindhart, depicting a mother and child scouting the sea.


Vinderød Church

Vinderød Church is located in Vinderød, northeast of Frederiksværk, with a great view over Arresø. The church was buildt in 1883 following the schematic from Ove Petersen. Previously on the premises was a church from the Middle Ages and later the church by Classen (1795-1883). The burial chapel of Johan Frederik Classen from the church built in 1795 still remains to this day.


Inside the church is a marble sarcophagy made by Johannes Wiedewelt containing the earthly remains of Johan Frederik Classen. Peter Hersleb Classen the younger, is also buried here.

The earliest sources date back to 1389, when the bishop of Roskilde transferred the parish´s bishop tithe to saint laurentii chapel in Roskilde.

After the construction of the canal between Arresø and Roskilde inlet in 1728, the parish´s numbers increased, and increased again after the canon forgery’s creation in 1756, and the town gaining the name of Frederiksværk.

The owner of the canon forgery Johan Frederik Classen died in 1792 and the church was purchased by His foundation (Det Classenske Fideicommis) on the condition that the king kept the “Kaldsret” (jus vocandi) (The ability of the king to choose who gains the different prominent jobs, formerly a right of the people, but claimed by the king after gained abselute power) and that the church was provided with a suiting extention.

In 1794 the building was made available to the contractor, court architect Andreas Kirkerup, it would be taken down and constructed anew by plans made by conference council Peter Hersleb Classen the elder, brother of J.F. Classen

Sidst ændret:

torsdag, 26. oktober, 2023 - 11:11